The Email Company is a full-service Toronto-based email marketing agency that focuses on email marketing strategy, programs and campaign development to help our clients develop deeper and more profitable relationships with their customers and audiences. The Email Company has been providing email marketing technology and professional services to Canadian retailers, financial institutions, not-for profit organizations and other fortune 500 companies for over 16 years.
Reporting to the Director of Client Services, the ExactTarget / Salesforce Marketing Cloud Developer will work with a talented team of email marketing specialists and programmers in the development of dynamic and responsive emails, landing pages, subscription forms, profile centres, API calls, CRON jobs and SQL queries.
This role focuses primarily on translating customer-stated business objectives into actionable solutions and understanding customer communication needs and data streams. This includes designing, developing and documenting solutions to leverage automation, dynamic content and data-driven segmentation to maximize program success. This role encompasses the coding of HTML emails and landing pages using ExactTarget Marketing Cloud Services proprietary scripting language (i.e. AMPScript) as well as automation and database tools to execute highly dynamic, data-driven campaigns. In addition, the ExactTarget Developer is responsible for collaborating with other members of the Client Services team to test functional and rendering quality for new solutions, and for preparing the ongoing program for execution by either the customer or The Email Company’s Client Services team.
You will be responsible for:
- Using initiative to research and develop code to solve challenges.
- Writing SQL queries to extract data from MySQL databases as well as ExactTarget data extensions and system data views.
- Assisting with quality assurance on EMC-developed websites and emails, while providing support to the front-end development team.
- Building and maintaining a rapport with cross-functional teams including account teams, project managers, designers and developers.
- Assuring browser compatibility, usability, performance, and adherence to project specifications.
- Working with the client to understand key campaign parameters and inputs, such as subscriber audience, program frequency, degree of personalization and overall creative approach.
- Collaborating with other members of the Client Services team to provide best practice recommendations to customers.
- Instilling confidence through maturity, expertise and impeccable communications (written and verbal) with customers.
- Developing robust campaign documentation and facilitating the process of transitioning the program for ongoing maintenance.
- Leveraging ExactTarget Marketing Cloud Services tools and scripting language (i.e. AMPScript) to deliver highly dynamic and personalized content
Desired Skills and Experience
- Background in Email Marketing Development
- Significant knowledge and experience with ExactTarget / Salesforce Marketing Cloud Services
- Significant knowledge and experience with AMPScript and the ExactTarget API
- Experience using REST API and SOAP API
- Experience with Linux Server and CPanel
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, SQL, and relational database fundamentals
- Experience designing and developing complex Excel/CSV reports using raw data extracted from ExactTarget or MySQL
- Proficient in web based technologies
- Back-end web development experience
- Ability to fix bugs and troubleshoot technical issues
- Knowledge of Email Marketing development best practices
- Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code templates as well as design and execute test plans
- Experience testing and troubleshooting in multiple browsers or email clients with a strong sense of web design and user experience fundamentals
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, Web Programming, or related field; or equivalent experience with demonstrated proficiency is an asset
- Experience with XML, JSON, JQuery, PHP, ASP, Force.com and Object Oriented Programming is a plus
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Well-developed communication skills
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines
- Self-motivating and capable of handling multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects and customer deadlines with minimal oversight
- Ability to understand business goals and translate technical and non-technical information to and from clients
Location: Toronto Preferred – Telecommute Possible
Employment Type: Contract to hire
Hourly Rate: Negotiable
Required experience: Database and web programming: 10 years
Please send your resume and cover letter in PDF format to jeff (at) theemailcompany (DOT) com.
The Email Company is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes and encourages applications from all persons including those with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact us so that appropriate accommodations can be made.